Find Your Local CSA

Have you heard of a CSA?  CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  As a member, you buy shares for the season you choose.  The farmer is able to use the money you invest to buy seeds and prepare for the season.  As a member, you receive a variety box of fresh produce each week.

After sharing my local food journey with a colleague the other day, she suggested I look into a farm nearby called Bending Bridge Farm.  I checked out the website to see how I could start purchasing fresh veggies and fruit.  I found out that to buy from them you have to join their CSA.  Since I am about half way through the fall season, they offered to let me join until December for $125.  Since I know it will be hard to find fresh, local produce through December, I decided to join for the rest of this season and I will use as a trail period to see if I would like to join in the spring season.  The main growing season is $400 and goes from May to September.  The Fall season is $250 and goes from October to December.

The box of produce will be delivered to a local business in my area each week and they have multiple drop off locations around south central PA.

Check out Bending Bridge Farm to find out how you can join their CSA and see the amazing work they do.

I'm sure joining a CSA is a possibility throughout the USA, so if you are not from this area, check out CSA's where you're from.  It's a positive step towards supporting your local community and sustainment of food supplies.

Here is my first box of produce!  It contained yellow apples, red potatoes, two types of kale, green leaf lettuce, cilantro, and bok choy. 

Comments