Time to Crack Open a Nut!

Southern Pennsylvania is an ideal location for nut tree growth.  Just last week, while walking in our neighborhood, I narrowly dodged many black walnuts falling from the trees all around me!

Last weekend I went to the Chambersburg farmers market on a mission to find the last of the fresh and local of the season.  I was in luck! I picked up some amazing veggies including tomatoes, eggplant, butternut squash, and spaghetti squash.  As I was about to pay, I noticed a small box of nuts the farmer had for sale.  I asked about them and he did tell me the name, which escapes me now.  He had gathered them from the trees near his home.  I thought, why not? Let's give them a try.

It had been a while since I cracked open a nut and I knew we didn't have a cracker in our house, so I promptly went to the vintage shop in town to find one and I was in luck! It was well worn tool that looked perfect for my purposes.

I was excited to break apart the hard shell to reveal just what tasty goodness would be inside.  It took a few tries, but eventually I cracked it open and was surprised to see that it looked like a smaller version of a walnut.  I promptly took a bite and was greeted with the sweet rich walnut flavor.



These nuts are smaller than a typical walnut and it takes some strength to break open the hard outer shell, but the taste is so worth it!  Grocery store varieties just don't even come close to this flavor. This morning I added some to my oatmeal and it was delicious!



I can't remember the exact name the farmer gave me, but I know there was no indication that it was any variety of walnut.  If anyone out there knows the name, please share in a comment.  If anyone is growing these or any other variety of nuts in souther PA and would like to share your knowledge or products with others, please leave a comment.

Comments