First post from Bangkok! Komodo Dragon Fruit


I'll start by saying one could write a whole book on the fruit of Southeast Asia, especially Thailand.  That being said, I am going to spend some time in the new few months sharing some of my very favorite exotic fruits with you.



First up is the dragon fruit.  This uniquely beautiful fruit can be either white or pink inside.  To know which, look for wrinkles at the base.  If you see wrinkles, it is a pink interior.  Although I haven't had the pink yet, I've heard it's a bit sweeter than the white.  Either way, you will notice the small black seeds which resemble the seeds in kiwi.

The flavor is subtle and mildly sweet.  The texture is quite similar to a kiwi fruit.  I would suggest mixing the dragon fruit into a fruit salad with other sweeter fruits if you don't think it has much taste.

Dragon fruit is extremely popular all over Thailand.  It is typically served with other fruits as either breakfast or dessert.  The dragon fruit has been considered a tropical "superfood" by some as it holds many nutritional benefits.  It contains antioxidants along with vitamin C and B1, B2, and B3.  It also contains calcium and protein.  Quite the natural powerhouse!




I have to admit, I was a little intimidated to buy this one in the store, even though I have had them before.  I just wasn't sure how to cut it, peel it, and get to the fruit.  Turns out, it's actually super easy! First I cut it in half, then I peeled the pink skin right off the fruit.  It came off quite easily.  I then cut up the fruit into bite sized pieces.  Although this fruit has many nutritional benefits, I wouldn't be a locavore if I didn't remind folks that it is a tropical fruit.  If you see it in your grocery and you know it's not local, I would recommend that you don't purchase it then.  Wait until your next tropical vacation, knowing that when you see this beautiful fruit, you will know what it is, purchase it with confidence, and enjoy the fresh goodness that can only come from getting it grown locally.  
Enjoy!

To all my new Thailand friends, please leave a comment and let me know what you think of dragon fruits.  Also, please share any recipe ideas or tips you might have.

Comments