Romanesco Cauliflower


It would be fair to say that this fascinating beautiful vegetable is a work of art.  As I stare lovingly at it's perfect spirals, I can't help but be reminded of that famous mathematician, Fibonacci and his magical sequence of numbers.  As an elementary math teacher, I had the privilege of introducing students to the world of pattern through Fibonacci's sequence, also known as the golden ratio.  But here, looking at this Romanesco cauliflower that arrived in my CSA veggie box, like some ancient Roman artifact, it's hard to think that I should put this in the oven, rather than on a pedestal.
This cauliflower just seems too beautiful chop up, let alone eat!

The health benefits of this little known cruciferous are bountiful as well.  It boasts being antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, low in calories and nutrient rich.  This amazingly perfect edible flower is easily digestible and very filling.

I figured since this is my first time cooking or eating the Romanesco, roasting in the oven with a little salt and pepper was probably best.  I cut the florets off near the tops of the stems, which resembled miniature trees.

How to make Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower:

Mix the cut florets with salt, pepper, a little fresh rosemary and thyme and olive oil and arrange in a roasting pan or cookie sheet.



Put them on the upper rack in a 400 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes.
Take them out when they begin to brown on the edges.
Add more salt to your liking and enjoy!


They turned out perfect!  The taste is similar to cauliflower but a bit richer and nuttier.  I can't wait to try other recipes using local Romanesco cauliflower.  Have you ever cooked with this delightful veggie?  If so, leave a comment with your recipe ideas.

And just as an added bonus, this is my very favorite video about Fibonacci's Sequence for all the math lovers out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=greG6_f7Y7Q

Comments

  1. You have motivated me to try it. Hope they sell it at Haggens or Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment